Director, The Entrepreneurship Collaborative
Department and Affiliations
Director, The Entrepreneurship Collaborative, Department of Management, Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Dr. Stephen K. Markham received his Ph.D. from Purdue University, his MBA from the University of California, Irvine, and an M.S. and B.S. in social psychology from Brigham Young University. He is a Certified New Product Development Professional and professor of management, innovation, and entrepreneurship in the Poole College of Management at NC State University. He is president of the Product Development & Management Association (PDMA) Research Foundation, founder of the PDMANew Product Development Professional Certification Program, past PDMA officer and board member, and past director of the Technology, Entrepreneurship and Commercialization Program (TEC) and past director of the Center for Innovation Management Studies (CIMS) at Poole College.
Area(s) of Expertise
Technology management and new product development processes. The roles individuals play in developing and implementing high technology.
His research focuses on the roles and processes in the front end of technological innovation, concentrating on the role champions take in early commercial development of technology. Dr. Markham is on the editorial review board of the Journal of Product Innovation Management and reviews regularly for journals such as Organization Science, IEEE Transaction on Engineering Management, as well as for the National Science Foundation. He actively teaches in the executive education and MBA programs in the areas of leadership, corporate culture, innovation and technology commercialization. He has received and participated in 11 grants totaling nearly $2.5 million. Dr. Markham has been a founding board member or officer of numerous high-technology start-up companies and consults with numerous global technology-based companies.
- Markham, S.K., Kowolenko, M. and Michaelis, T., (2015). Unstructured Text Analytics to Support New Product Development Decisions. Research Technology Management, March-April 2015, pg. 30-38.
- Markham, S.K., and Lee, H.J., (In Press). Marriage and Family Therapy in NPD Teams Effects of We-ness on Knowledge Sharing and Product Performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management. Vol.31, No.6, pg.1291-1311
- Holohan, P., Zhen, C. and Markham, S.K., (2014). Product Development as Core Competence: How Formal Product Development Practices Differ for Radical, More Innovative, and Incremental Product Innovations. Journal of Product Development Management, Vol. 31, No. 2 pg. 329-345.
- Reprint (2014): Barr, S.H., Baker, T., Markham, S.K. and Kingon, A.I. (2009). Bridging the Valley of Death: Lessons Learned From 14 Years of Commercialization of Technology Education. Academy of Management Learning and Education, Vol.8, No. 3, pg. 370-388. In IEEE Engineering Management Review, Vol.42, No.1, pg. 13-34
- Markham, S.K., and Lee, H.J. (2013). Product Development and Management Association’s 2012 Comparative Practices Assessment Study. Journal of Product Innovation Management. Vol. 30, No. 3, pg. 408-429.
- Markham, S.K., and Lee, H.J (2013). Integrating Front-End of Innovation and Formal NPD Processes. Research Technology Management. Vol. 56, No. 4, pg. 37-44.
- Markham, S.K. (2013). The Impact of Front End Activities on Product Performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management. Vol. 30, No. S1 pg. 77-92.